Religious Education (RE) of the highest quality lies at the heart of our life as a Church of England primary school.
We follow the RE syllabus that has been written by the Diocese of London entitled Every Child Matters to God and it has been designed to help children to both learn about religions and to learn from religions.
Whilst the children learn about all the major world faiths, the syllabus naturally gives particular emphasis to the Christian faith.
In November 2013, the school’s RE provision was assessed for the Gold Quality Mark, a prestigious award that acknowledges, celebrates and publicises excellence in Religious Education and we are immensely proud to say that we were awarded the Gold Award along with only 22 other schools including primary schools, high schools, grammar schools and technical colleges.
After a consultation process involving our children, the teachers at Hampstead Parochial School have developed five Principles for Religious Education that underpin our entire RE offering:
- We believe that Religious Education allows us to ask ‘big’ questions where there isn’t necessarily a right or wrong answer
- We believe that Religious Education allows us to explore values and morals that we and others hold
- We believe that Religious Education allows us to explore a variety of cultures and beliefs whilst developing acceptance and understanding
- We believe that Religious Education allows us to learn from other people’s beliefs and practices
- We believe that Religious Education allows us to experience awe and wonder at ourselves, the world and the universe